Thursday 22 January 2009

Now January 22nd, so 3 and a half months post-op. I was pretty excited about my progress last time I wrote, but I restarted pilates last Monday, and it shows just how far I still have to go! Ouch!

In my first class I tried to do everything I used to do and pretty much managed to do it all. However, by the next day I was really sore, and this lasted a week or so. Real strong joint pain. I saw a new physio, who told me I really shouldn't try and do everything as before. I mustn't push through the pain or it will sensitise me to it. She gave me some new exercises and corrected my posture from the last batch. They now really feel like they are doing something!

By my second pilates class I had learned my lesson, and told my teacher which exercises were a problem for me. She ascertained that the main muscle causing problems is the hip flexor (which allows you to raise your leg). This explains why lifting my leg to get in the car/bed/put on socks, etc. is tough. I am trying to avoid cutting corners on those areas now, to build up muscle strength.

Positive news though is that the spa break for Mum and me is booked! I cannot wait - 2 days in a gorgeous hotel, with treatments, spa rooms, lovely food. Hoorah! As J doesn't want to miss out, we are also going to book a night away to go shopping, to the cinema, eat out, and indulge ourselves in our favourite hotel in Berkshire. I feel really spoilt!

No comments: