Friday 12 March 2010

A Year since my last entry

I can't believe how time flies. I wanted to give an update for anyone considering the PAO surgery. I had my surgery October 08 and it is about eighteen months on from then. I can safely say now that I live a pain free life. The only lasting implications for me have been:

1. Flexibility in my left hip is less than before and less than my right hip (but it is still within the normal range.

2. My left hip feels slightly tighter sometimes.

And that is it!! I swim, walk loads, run after the children, still do pilates,and have even been known to wear high heels occasionally.



It is true that I will have to look after my left hip well, by ensuring I exerciseand stretch it, and I am still determined to get more flexibility back. But... I am soooooo chuffed that I had the op. All of the teething problems and aches and pains have now pretty much been remedied by a combination of time and exercise. Hooray!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Emma! Thank you for a sharing your experience, it really made me realise how much patience is required during the recovery. I am a 32 years old male from Sweden currently 20 days post PAO op on my left hip. I am off painkillers since day 14, apart from occasional paracetamol. Your story was fantastic to read and it actually brought tears to my eyes! I really understand how good it must feel to finally get rid of the pain! Fingers crossed I have the same outcome as you have, I hope to be able to play football again. All the best! /Michael

Tim Reed said...

Thanks for sharing your personal story to all of us. It made me realize how far my patience should go after the surgery. I am a 30 year old male from PA and in 20 day post PAO op on my left hip. I rely on painkillers since day 14, as well as popping paracetamols every so often. I'm teary as I read your story. Made me realize (again) that I'm not alone. Like you, I'm hoping I could recover my life the soonest and play football. Best Wishes. Tim

By the way, I'm looking for info about asr hip replacement recall. Anyone knows about this?

Ashley said...

Thank you so much! I cried too. I'm getting the surgery in Oct and am terrified! Your story helped me so much. Thank you for your honesty!

lee said...

I am a 30 year old male from edmonton alberta and am 1 week into this. My surgeon dr carlos panaro is supposed to be one of the best. Lots of pain, but recovering quickly already and am starting to get flexibility and range of motion already. I sure hope it has made the pain and difficulty with arthritis better. All the best to anyone having to go through this. It is not easy in the first few day, but it does get better.