Friday 8 July 2011

July 2011 - an update. Cycling and bulking up!

It is now 2 years and 9 months since the operation. I haven't updated my blog for ages because I forgot my password - so sorry to everyone who posted questions and comments. It has been great to hear what people think about 'my story' and of course to read about your own experiences and worries. I know it is easy for me to say now that the op is a distant memory, but I really would recommend that you go for it, if you are thinking about the surgery and are undecided.

For me, having the surgery has completely changed my life and I am so glad I did it sooner rather than later. My hip disorder was congenital, so one of my cousins (now aged 42) has a similar condition. She discussed the option of having PAO, when living in Holland, and was really put off it, as it was described to her in such a brutal way. But her life now - still a relatively young woman - is often severely limited. On some days she cannot even get out of bed because of the pain, and she hobbles when she walks. It is such a shame that the condition has been allowed to deteriorate to such an extent, because she can't now have the procedure (due to the arthritis that has damaged her hip joint from the unnatural slant of weight beraing in her socket) and is faced only with the prospect of a hip replacement. I hope she chooses to take this up soon.

For me, however, I barely even think about my hip. The points I made in my last blog are still the same. My left hip is not as flexible as it once was, and generally my thigh and buttock on the left side are slightly smaller. I still tend to compensate for my 'bad side' by using my right side more to balance and weight bear, even though this is now completely unnecessary. Old habits die hard I guess. I have, however, begun cycling again. I thought this would be painful, but was amazed at the effect. I have to use my left leg as hard as my right leg to cycle, and so find that I am finally beginning to bulk up my left thigh and bum region. My body is far more balanced as a result. I have NO pain at all from cycling and feel it is really doing me good.

I'm not sure what else I can add. Post-op I am fine, fit and free of pain. If you are soon to have your op - I wish you all the best and the speediest of recoveries!

2 comments:

Jules said...

This is very helpful that you posted all of this. My doctor recently recommended the procedure for me but I cannot bear the thought of surgery this major! And then being so immobile during recovery. While you were on pain medication but reading were you able to concentrate for a long period of time? I own my own business and so I don't really have "sick leave" so any day I'm not working I'm not collecting a paycheck, but wondered realistically how much time I'd have to take off?

Unknown said...

My daughter Who is almost 15 his five weeks passed her surgery and after the third week she was all over the place on her crutches was able to sit up and get around up and down stairs etc. and was off all major painkillers except Tylenol she still has the other hip to have surgery on but we were told he timeline that I don't think is very realistic if you're healthy and relatively young I feel that you can be up and around after three weeks don't get me wrong you're still very limited if you can work from a desk but if you need to drive that I'm not so sure about as my daughter does not driveI wish you all the best